Herring River Restoration Committee
The Herring River Restoration Committee (HRRC), a multi-agency group, was appointed by the Cape Cod National Seashore and the Towns of Wellfleet and Truro in November 2007. The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) which established the Committee endorsed the Conceptual Restoration Plan, prepared by the Herring River Technical Committee, and enabled additional planning, funding and environmental compliance steps to produce a detailed restoration plan. Click here for a copy of the latest MOU.
The Herring River Restoration Committee recognizes the environmental and socioeconomic benefits of restoring this tidally restricted and degraded estuarine system, and is currently engaged in developing a comprehensive restoration plan for the estuary, building upon work completed by the preceding Town-appointed Herring River Technical Committee (HRTC).
The Committee consists of the following members representing their respective agencies.
- Gary Joseph (Town of Wellfleet and Committee Chair)
- Hillary Greenberg (Town of Wellfleet Health and Conservation Agent and Deputy Wellfleet Town Representative)
- Steve Block (NOAA Restoration Center)
- Eric Derleth (US Fish and Wildlife Service)
- Peter Herridge (Town of Truro)
- Tim Smith (Restoration Ecologist, Cape Cod National Seashore)
- Stephen Spear (USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service)
- Hunt Durey (Massachusetts Division of Ecological Restoration)
- Carole Ridley (Project Coordinator)